I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Monday 15 August 2011

Blessed are the Merciful

"Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." Matthew 5:7


 

Being merciful can be explained on a basic level as giving good that is undeserved. It is easy for anyone to give people what they deserve. But it takes someone filled with Jesus to give good to people when they clearly do not deserve it.

An act of revenge say, "You hurt and mistreated me, so I'm going to mistreat you back." But mercy says, "You mistreated me, so I'm going to forgive you, restore you and treat you as if you had never hurt me." Having the ability and the humility to give and also receive mercy is a truly awesome blessing.

Being merciful is being able to see the why behind the what, ergo, mercy doesn't just look at what a person does, but seeks to understand why they did what they did. Being merciful does not mean we don't deal with the issues behind an unmerciful act. It means that we have a forgiving and understanding attitude while we deal with them. It is not our place to judge and punish; it is for us to act as Jesus would: mercifully. God is merciful to us, and He is giving us a chance to be blessed by giving mercy to others.

We all need to be shown mercy at one time or another. The best way to get mercy is to get busy learning how to give it away and put that into practice. Give nothing but judgement and all you will receive is judgement. But give mercy and you will receive mercy.

You reap what you sow. Be merciful and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment