I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Tuesday 9 August 2011

The Eighth Commandment

"You shall not steal" (Exodus 20:15)


 

This commandment highlights not only stealing or receiving but also of giving too. The giving approach epitomises God's love for others. But theft is the ultimate assertion of the greedy and lustful way of life. A life that emphasises obtaining 'things' with no thought for the rights and feelings of others. It laughs in the face of conventions and boundaries established by both society and God.

The spiritual intent of this commandment tells us where the battle against selfishness begins. It originates when we learn to appreciate the rights and needs of others.

The Eighth Commandment safeguards everyone's right to legitimately acquire and own property. God wants people to have the right to have their private property honoured and protected. God's approach to us having material wealth is balanced. He wants us to prosper and enjoy physical blessings (3 John 1:2). He also expects us to show wisdom in how we use what He provides us with. However, He does not want possessions to be our main pursuit in life (Matthew 6:25-33).

To God it is more important that generosity rather than greed motivate the choices we make in our lives. Giving and serving are qualities of God's own character and therefore He asks that we put these ahead of lavishing possessions on ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment