I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Friday 26 August 2011

Get yourself off your mind

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Mark 8:34


 

If all you ever have on your mind is yourself, you will be guaranteed nothing but a miserable existence. It can be a real challenge to keep yourself off your mind, but the more you obey the Lord's commands in this area, the happier you will become. We all develop the habit of trying to take care of ourselves. We want to make plans for ourselves and be sure that we are well provided for.

Obviously, we can't live our lives without ever giving any thought to ourselves and our lives. We need to make many decisions and plans so that we can move from day to day. But it's when we move into a selfish, self-centred mindset that we are no longer in God's will.

Christians fight a daily battle against society which has a 'me, me, me' approach to life which totally goes against the Word of God. It is crucial that we resist the pull of these worldly ways and refuse to be excessive in self-centred thinking.

Many people are depressed because they spend all their time trying to make themselves happy, usually unsuccessfully. But true joy comes only from giving life away - not from striving to keep it. Don't ruin your life by trying to keep it. If you are a blessing to others, you will in turn be blessed. Give and it shall be given unto you. The moment that you choose to die to self-centredness, you will really begin to live. Pray to God to deliver and transform you.

No comments:

Post a Comment