I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Wednesday 3 August 2011

How to honour God

God wants far more than lip service from us. He wants a heartfelt relationship with us. Jesus tells us, "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks" (Luke
6:45).

At the end of the day, it is not enough to just avoid misusing God's name. He wants us to love and respect Him. We begin to honour Him in our thoughts. We need to know who and what He us and what He requires of us and why. We should admire His wisdom, love, fairness and justice. We need to stand in awe of His power and recognise that our existence depends on His goodness.

We then need to talk to Him in prayer on a daily basis. We should follow the Psalms to give Him thanks and praise Him, openly expressing our appreciation for all that He gives us and does for us. We should acknowledge His greatness and ask Him to create in us His way of thinking and His character. We should also request that the power of His Spirit enables us to fully obey and serve Him.

We honour God most of all by loving Him so much that we, above all things, want to be like Him and to accurately represent Him to everyone who sees or knows us. Our strongest resolve, if we do all the above, will be never knowingly taking God's name in vain!

No comments:

Post a Comment