I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Friday 5 August 2011

Establishing Identity

Children need constant encouragement and frequent acknowledgement of their successes and achievements. Above all, they need plenty of love and praise to help them develop a strong personal identity that reflects a positive and hopeful outlook on life.

Bear in mind that children do not all respond to different types of praise in the same way. Some are more able to better develop a positive outlook when praise focuses on them, on their abilities and competences rather than on individual achievements.

Praise which focuses heavily on accomplishments only, such as academic grades may create an unhealthy sense of insecurity. Some children consequently may grow to believe that they are only acceptable if they perform well and that they are only loved when their efforts are perfect. This type of praise can have the opposite effect from what was intended.

As parents, we should rejoice with our children in their achievements. We should naturally want to share their successes. But, we need to be careful to direct our praise always toward them as individuals. We should tell them when we are pleased with them. This confirms their confidence in knowing that it is possible for them to please God. They then perceive themselves as being acceptable and appreciated. It gives them hope in their future and assurance in their own identity. They are then far more likely to have confidence in us as parents and in return, praise and honour us. This is the beginning of a proper and positive relationship with the rest of humanity and also with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment