I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Friday 5 August 2011

The Role of a Parent

As parents, God has given us the main responsibility for teaching children the basic principles of life. The success that mothers and fathers have in this depends on how much they submit to God's instruction and teaching and show love and respect for Him.

God challenged the spiritual leaders of ancient Israel: "A son honours his father, and a servant his master. If then I am the Father, where is My honour? And if I am a Master, where is My reverence?" (Malachi 1:6). As our Creator, God is the Father of us all.

Those of us who are parents should first think of ourselves as children - the children of God. It is just as important for us to respect and obey our Heavenly Father as it is for our children to respect and obey us. Only then is it possible for us to fully grasp our role as the spiritual leaders of our children.

When we first honour and obey God, we set the proper example for our children. They can then develop a nature of respect and obedience by observing our example and applying what they are taught. Children internalise beliefs and behaviours best if they see a strong continuity between the example and the instruction of their parents and elders.

God's words to parents make this clear, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when the walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up" (Deuteronomy 6:5-7). The meaning is clear: Only when we hold right principles in our hearts can we, as parents, successfully instil them in our children.

It is by treating children with dignity and respect in an interactive process that they learn how they should treat others and why their attitudes and behaviour should reflect love and concern for them. Parents who help their children to live in God's Word are teaching them how to rely on God's judgement instead of trusting their own emotions, whims and desires.

Children, especially teenagers, are searching for their own place in society. They need guidance and instruction as well as love and reassurance. Parents need to carefully combine a firm insistence that their children obey the rules of courtesy and respect with an abundance of patience and gentleness. This loving combination is the missing link in raising children.

No comments:

Post a Comment