I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Human Deceit

Learning to be consistently truthful requires self-discipline and courage, during which we must rely on help from God.

We often find ourselves doing things that we know are wrong. So why do we do them? Jeremiah said, "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds" (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

God understands our nature and reveals how to combat it. Jesus explained that even though we may be willing to obey, our flesh is weak (Mark 14:38). We lack resolve and strength to resist temptation. So how can we remedy this weakness?

Through the apostle Paul, God explains the cause of and solution to this universal problem: "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practise; but what I hate, that I do" (Romans 7:14-15). We all have experience of the same frustration and remorse.

Another apostle, Peter, denied Jesus on the night of His betrayal, even lying about being acquainted with Him (Matthew 26:69-74). Most people, like Peter, find it almost impossible to abandon all forms of deceit until they surrender their lives to God and begin sincerely seeking His help. Paul urged Church members to "put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness", "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbour, for we are members of one another" (Ephesians 4:24-25).

Everything in the life of a Christian is based on truth. God wants us, as His children, to commit ourselves to truth and reflect this in everything we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment