I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Friday 5 August 2011

Respecting Others

"Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you" (Exodus 20:12).

The Fifth Commandment addresses the importance of our learning to treat each other with honour and respect. Learning to take responsibility for our own conduct and character is the basis of all good relationships. Our character, which drives our conduct, begins to form during our childhood. It is during these formative years that our attitudes governing our personal desires in relation to the desires and needs of others is shaped and moulded. The importance of learning to respect others while we are still children is the main focus of this commandment.

The Fifth Commandment guides us in knowing how to yield to others, how to properly submit to authority and how to accept the influence of positive role models. Learning to obey this commandment helps children establish a lifelong pattern of respecting proper rules, traditions, principles and laws. Honouring others should be a normal and natural habit. "Honour all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." (1 Peter 2:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment