I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Sunday 11 September 2011

Philippians 4:10-13

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength" Philippians 4:13. If we take just this one scripture out of the Bible and ignore the surrounding scriptures, it appears that we ought to be able to do anything we want to do. Essentially by carefully extracting a verse, we can make the Bible say anything that we want it to. "I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it." Philippians 4:10. The people in the Philippians' church had sent Paul an offering, which naturally pleased him, so he wrote thanking them for the offering and their interest in him. He went on to add, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians
4:11-12. There were times when Paul did not have everything he wanted and times when his circumstances were not how he would have liked them to be. Paul's message was not that he could do anything he set his mind to, but that he had learned how to make the best of whatever situation he found himself in. It is in that context that he makes the statement we are so often quoted about the ability to "do all things in Christ". "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13. Reading verse 13 in context, we see what Paul was actually saying: I am able to handle all situations of life through Christ who gives me strength. However, if verse 13 is taken out of context we might believe that we can do anything we feel like, when are and wherever we want to. This is inaccurate. We must stay with the anointing, which only comes with the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment