I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

The words you use

Ephesians 4:29 - "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." - I was raised in a family where more expletives were said in a sentence than any other words. I am pretty certain that my first words after the babbling stage will have been swear words. Thirty five years on I am finally trying to win the battle against words and I must confess that I am making good progress. I do still use foul language sometimes but there is clear improvement according to linguistic studies I undertook at university.

Do you use profanities and coarse words? Do you realise that your words shows what kind of a person you are and what comes out of your mouth shows people what is in your heart? Rectifying this is not just a matter of being more careful with which words you let spill out. If the words still reach the tip of your tongue but are not spoken it still amounts to the same. In order to be successful you must first have a change of heart, and then good, kind, healing words will follow and profanities will cease to have a place.

Criticism, profanities, gossip, flattery and lies are not just verbal problems, they run far deeper than that. They are problems in your heart. I ask you to ponder this - What impact could you have on others if you replaced all your negative, dirty and unhelpful words with words of encouragement, love, kindness and gratitude? I tell you now, you would find the results to be outstanding, far more that you could ever have expected and this sort of behaviour tends to have a ripple effect - even more reason for you to try to get a grip on your words.

You wouldn't give a rude or obscene gift to someone so why would you give them profanities in your speech? Both are obscene and offensive. The greatest gift you can ever give someone is encouragement, inspiration and comfort and this is done through our words, but our words have to be the right ones - clean and healthy words in order to have the right impact. Stop letting yourself down by using obscene, insulting and demeaning words. Get them out of your heart and your mind and speak only words that truly matter and that will please God.


 

Soap anyone???

No comments:

Post a Comment