I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Sunday 19 June 2011

Do Christians experience pleasure?

Psalm 1:1-2 - "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night."

Psalm 112:1 - "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands."

Living a Christian life brings untold pleasures. Some of the greatest pleasures come from pleasing God. Two of the rewards of living a faithful life of purpose are experiencing deep peace and joy. God wants you to enjoy the life he gave you.

Psalm 16:11 - "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

John 10:10 - "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

God created you in such a way that you would have the capability to find pleasure in developing and having a relationship with him. When you are in your quiet time, in prayer with God, you will probably feel some pretty awesome emotions and discover new things out about yourself. There are times when you will, without a doubt, feel God's presence around you and those moments are indescribable and are to be cherished. Celebrating God's goodness and love form the basis of many enjoyable occasions.

John 4:34 - " 'My food', said Jesus, 'is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.' "

The best kind of pleasure to experience comes from being obedient to God and doing what he wants. This brings us great satisfaction and a sense of fulfilment. Just as earthly children love to please their parents, we, as children of God, long to please our Father.

Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 - "I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no please. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labour. Yet I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had when toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."

Not all pleasure is good, and sometimes we pursue the wrong pleasures, those that will bring harm to us or that bring no purpose or meaning to our life. If you persistently seek out inappropriate pleasures, your life will eventually seem meaningless when you discover that you have been wasting your time chasing after the wrong things.

No comments:

Post a Comment