I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Ask no secrets, tell no lies

Truth is commonly discussed and contested in any walk of life. The validity and truth of the Bible has been debated ad nauseum. The word "truth" itself appears many, many times in the Bible.

2 Samuel 7:28 - "O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy"

Proverbs 12:19 - "Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment!

John 14:6 - "Jesus said 'I am the way and the truth and the life.'"

John 18:37 - Jesus said "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."


 

The truth impacts upon your daily life more than you probably realise. You might assume that everyone tells the truth when in fact they don't. You will naturally gravitate towards those who speak the truth as you know that they are of a trustworthy nature. If there is no trust in any sort of relationship it will crumble and fall apart. Relationships simply cannot work with missing elements of truth. On a larger scale, if we want the world to function as a whole we all need to cooperate in a truthful way or we will never see such things as world peace happen. Dishonesty and lies corrupt.

A second type of truth is 'absolute truth'. This involves the principles of nature, human and animal behaviours and also science. For example the law of relativity or the rules of gravity. These truths cannot be changed. They are 100% true, evidenced and no matter how many people might choose to try disprove these truths they will never be able to as they are absolute truths.

However, more interestingly the Bible suggests a third type of truth - 'spiritual truth'. This consists of moral and supernatural principles about our relationship with God and others. These principles are constant despite our feelings and beliefs being prone to change. This type of truth can be difficult to discover and even more so to accept. It will affect the way you live your life forevermore. In the same way that you cannot reject the absolute truth about gravity nor can you reject the spiritual truth about God and how he has pre-destined how human life should work and then expect your life to turn out a different way.


 

Do you accept the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth???

No comments:

Post a Comment