I already have a blog where I keep all my creative work. My life is changing a lot at the moment and there are lots of issues, beliefs and such that I find myself musing for hours over. I've decided that it might be a good idea to write my musings down somewhere. I have no idea where this will go so it will be an adventure, an exciting one I hope.

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Healing in Christ's atonement

Isaiah 53:4-5 - "Surely he took up our infirmities and carried out sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

This scripture leaves absolutely no doubt that Jesus bore our sickness and diseases as a part of his atonement. Isaiah's prophecy was partly spiritual and emotional healing, but it also includes healing for our bodies as well. There are many other scriptures that include the forgiveness of our sins and the healing of our bodies in the atonement of Christ.

Psalm 103:2-3 - "Praise the Lord, O my soul and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,"

Luke 4:18 - "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour."

The Scriptures don't make the distinction between Jesus forgiving our sins and healing our bodies that modern day Christianity makes. They were both results of the one atonement of Christ.

Since Jesus bore our sickness and diseases just as He bore our sins, then Jesus would no more put sickness on us than He would lead us to commit sin. He has redeemed us from sin and sickness.

The teaching method of separating physical healing from the atonement of Christ is perhaps a convenient excuse to deal with our ineffectiveness in receiving healing. God's word does not teach that 'It is not God's will to heal everyone', and to use this phrase is totally unacceptable given what we read in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment